This interview with Ben Salisbury was actually done over a year ago. Before Lean Musician, Jack had started another podcast for Film Composers & Sound designers called The Sound of Media. After he found himself winding it down after 7 episodes – Tom & Jack formed it into a new project – which is now Lean Musician!
Jack knows Ben from a project a few years back & he’s a big composer on the Bristol scene (where Jack lives). He’s prolific has been involved in some seriously interesting projects, not least:
- Beyonce’s directorial debut
- Various natural history films with David Attenborough
- Work with Geoff Barrow & Portishead
It’s a great interview & one of the ones we really didn’t want to let go into the dusty archives of Jack's computer. We hope you enjoy it & please remember to head over to the show notes at
… where you’l be able to find an outline of the episode, subscribe on iTunes or Android & references all links mentioned in this episode.
Outline of the podcast:
- 00.00 Ben Talks about what he's up to
- 12:30: How does the interplay of a classical education & an interest in sound design play out in your work?
- 15:50 Can you explain a bit more about what you mean by ‘changing the world with the score’?
- 18:40 Composing for Natural History vs more alternative projects & escaping the ‘standard way’ of writing.
- 23:00 Different ways of listening & hearing music in media.
- 25:00 The Sound of Natural History Scores
- 29:00 Not dominating with your scores & some praise from David Attenborough
- 35:36 Whats your starting point & approach to composition?
- 43:00 Any advice for getting ‘fresh ears’?
Links and items mentioned in this episode:
- Ben Salisbury's website
- Ben's Twitter
- Geoff Barrow
- Beyonce – Life is But A Dream
- Scott Hendy
- Dolman Video – On Stony Ground
- Miguel Sapochnick
- Paul Stretch
- Scott Rudin
- Barnaby Taylor
- Monkey Planet
- George Fenton
- David Poore
- Dirk Campbell
- Steven Price
- Interview with Steven Price
- Pomodoro Technique